ADVERTISEMENT

The Run Down The Run Down (Feb. 3)

Jacey Zembal

Jun 15, 2007
1. Some believe that the official visit is everything in football recruiting.

There is some credence to that, and it wasn’t lost on people that while local receivers Noah Rogers and Nathan Leacock lived at NC State with unofficial visits, they never took an official visit. Both tried to arrange ones in June, but it never came together.

How successful was NC State with its official visits? We are taking a look at key dates on the recruiting calendar, and what the Wolfpack’s success rate was within a few weeks of the official visit.

June 3, 2022 (Two commits): Safety Kerry Brown (Minnesota), defensive end Guerlens Milfort (UAB), Charlie Symonds (Stanford), Kendric Raphael (NC State) and Daemon Fagan (NC State). This weekend has some context in that Symonds did pick NC State that weekend, and Raphael committed to Iowa the next week.

June 10, 2022 (One commit): Offensive lineman Obadiah Obasuyi (NC State), offensive lineman Robert Grigsby (North Carolina).

June 16, 2022 (Four commits): Tight end C.J. Jacobsen (Utah), running back Daylan Smothers (Oklahoma), defensive back Zack Myers (NC State), outside linebacker Stanquan Clark (Louisville), wide receiver Kevin Concepcion (NC State), defensive end Isaiah Shirley (NC State), quarterback Lex Thomas (NC State), nickel Tamarcus Cooley (Maryland), offensive lineman Kamen Smith (NC State). For context, Thomas was already committed, and Cooley did pick NC State three weeks after that visit.

Sept. 10, 2022 (Zero commits): Cornerback Chris Peal (Georgia), cornerback Brandon Cisse (NC State). For context, Cisse was already committed before the trip.

Sept. 16, 2022 (Zero commits): Running back Kyron Jones (Georgia). For context, Jones did commit to NC State about three weeks after the visit.

Nov. 11, 2022 (One commit): Outside linebacker Kelvon McBride (NC State).

Dec. 9, 2022 (Two commits): Defensive end Jy’Kevious Hibbler (NC State), outside linebacker Kamal Bonner (NC State), offensive lineman Darion Rivers (NC State), tight end Javonte Vereen (NC State), defensive tackle Keith Sampson Jr. (Florida State), wide receiver Micah Mays (Wake Forest). For context, Rivers and Vereen were already committed.

Dec. 16-17, 2022 (Two commits): Offensive lineman Rico Jackson (NC State), outside linebacker Rohan Davy (NC State), cornerback Shamar McNeil (Missouri).

Jan. 13, 2023 (One commit): Safety Bishop Fitzgerald (NC State), wide receiver Elijah Caldwell (South Carolina).

Transfers who visited and committed to NC State:
Quarterback Brennan Armstrong (Virginia)
Offensive lineman Dawson Jaramillo (Oregon)
Wide receiver Dacori Collins (Clemson)
Nickel Robert Kennedy (Old Dominion)
Defensive end Noah Potter (Cincinnati)
Note — Kicker Brayden Narveson didn’t officially visit.

Transfers who visited NC State but didn’t commit:
Offensive lineman Logan Taylor (Boston College)
Offensive lineman Casey Roddick (Florida State)
Tight end AJ Barner (Michigan); might not have been official
Safety Miles Battle (Utah)

2. A little over a year ago Jan. 25, 2022, NC State went to Charlotte (N.C.) Providence Day and offered current juniors Jordan Shipp and Channing Goodwin, both wide receivers, quarterback Jadyn Davis and sophomore left tackle David Sanders. Junior safety Brody Barnhardt was later offered in June when he stopped by for an unofficial visit while watching a relative in a state championship baseball game in the area.

Providence Day coach Chad Grier recently took some time to break down his his players did this season. The Chargers went 12-1 and won the NCISAA Division I state title with a 55-13 win over Charlotte Christian in a revenge game.

What was it like to see your team throw its fast ball in the biggest game of the year?

“That is what we prepared for, to play your best game Nov. 18. We said that all year. We played some good quarters and halves of football, and really in half of the game we lost [to Charlotte Christian]. The kids really doubled down [after the loss] on what got us here — the work ethic, the process, the attention to detail. We went to Rabun Gap (Ga.) the next week and had a great win up there.

“We were averaging in the high 40s and the defense has been playing lights out. We played really good football.”

How did the players handle the glaring spotlight this season?

“We never allowed ourselves to be the hunted. We were the hunters. That is our mentality. We are never going to be complacent. I told the guys, we’ll take a week off and then get back to work.”

A number of your key guys like Chris Peal, Goodwin, Barnhardt and Sanders play on both sides of the ball, and some even special teams. What is the motivation to do that?

“Some of it is we have to because of how many kids are in the high school. We aren’t going to have 60-70 varsity kids. I think it helps development. If you are an offensive guy and you play a complementary position, it helps your football IQ is getting higher. We practice in a way to train everybody on both sides.

“The goal is to put the best kids on the field. Channing was supposed to be a spot player on defense, and he turned out he was never getting off the field. South Carolina offered him as a DB and all his other offers are at wide receiver.”

What is it like seeing Barnhardt on all three units?

“He’s ridiculous. [NCSU’s] Tony Gibson loves him. He’s a special, special player. He’s a dog. You ask any in-state coach in the state and they’ll tell you he’s the best safety in the state, and at least in the southeast. He’s really, really good. I can’t say enough about him.

“He’s electric with the ball in his hands. He was a running back in middle school. He does kick returner and punt returner, and defensive back and wide receiver. You name it, he gets it done.”

How have you seen Jordan Shipp emerge?

“He’s fast isn’t he? That has always been his knock. He killed it in the weight room. He became a leader. He was the first non-senior to be voted captain by his teammates He led every practice, workout and weight room session. He got bigger, stronger, faster. His catch radius is ridiculous. Every day in practice, he catches a ball and you are like, ‘Oh my God.’ You get numb to it because you expect it.”

People forget that Sanders was hurt last year. How was his first full year?

“It takes about 30 seconds of watching him to be like, ‘Oh, I get it.’ He’s unicorn. I’ve never seen anything like him. I’ve had some great players and seen some great things, but he’s the best prospect I’ve ever had. He’s an incredible kid and that makes him really special.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News