ADVERTISEMENT

Football Some first day of practice tidbits...

Jacey Zembal

Jun 15, 2007
Nothing crazy as it was mostly stretching and drills that we got to watch.

Under the impression that Syracuse/Ohio State transfer Ja'Had Carter will get a shot at nickel with Bishop Fitzgerald and Auburn transfer Donovan Kaufman at safety. Devon Boykin, who can play three positions in the secondary, wasn't practicing as he is rehabbing his knee.

Former West Virginia/Akron safety Kerry Martin was with the second string, with Villanova transfer Devon Marshall and Maryland transfer Corey Coley at cornerback, and Zack Myers at safety and Maryland transfer Tamarcus Cooley at nickel.

I'm sure this will be a big month for freshman quarterback Cedrick Bailey to get him ready to be the backup. Quarterback and tight end are NC State's thinnest positions behind the starters.

The punt return and kickoff return positions will be interesting to watch, with the arrival of freshman Jonathan Paylor. Daylan Smothers, Kaufman, Terrell Anderson got some work back there too. Anderson is a gifted return man. I think this is the deepest NC State has been in return candidates.

The offensive line had Matt McCabe at guard and a healthy Zeke Correll at center. We'll see if McCabe can hold of Anthony Carter.

Devon Betty was at first string at linebacker, while the second string unit was Jayland Parker, Kamal Bonner and Kelvon McBride were on the second unit.

I did my annual routine of shooting everyone I could for pictures since this is our only crack at it, plus a friend took picks and did some video that I'll sift through. The first photo gallery project will be of the newcomers.

Coach Dave Doeren and I will assume some selected players will speak with the media following practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.