Wral: NCSU Football goes on shopping spree for 'Toys for Tots'

NC:steeler:SU

Dream Team
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Video included in link.

Heartwarming gesture.

As much as we all complain, we all have plenty to be thankful for, Merry Christmas, God Bless.

It isn't every day that shoppers encounter five North Carolina State University football players roaming the toy section of a Target at Cary Crossroads.

But select members of the NC State football team were on a mission Monday afternoon.

Most student athletes aren't up on the trendy kids toys for the 2019 holiday season, but the Pack players did their best.

"I really don't know what the hot gift is right now, so that's why we're trying to keep it simple, not trying to find gifts that are too boyish or too girlish," said NCSU cornerback Nick McCloud. "Something that's in the middle that everyone can enjoy."

Each toy that's placed in the cart will be donated to Toys for Tots - a program run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve.

The Marine Corps distributes the toys and gifts to needy children whose parents cannot afford to buy them gifts for Christmas.

"All of us love doing stuff like this," said NCSU quarterback Devin Leary. "It's a great opportunity for us to give back, but kind of just a great opportunity to use our platform as a way to help other people."

"You know, all these kids look up to us," said team wide receiver CJ Riley. "It's always good to put a smile on their face and give back. I know when I was little I looked up to guys like us, and it just gives us a good feeling."

While missing a bowl game this season weighs heavy on the minds of the players, giving back helped put things into perspective.

"It's been a little tough," Riley said. "Every year since I've been here, we've been to a bowl game. You know, it's a learning experience. Just get back to work next year and make sure it doesn't happen again."

Leary agreed: "Put it into the past and now we're onto a new season."

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu-football-goes-on-shopping-spree-for-toys-for-tots/18822983/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News