ADVERTISEMENT

Giving up on young players too soon

Hawkeye

Recruit
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Windsor
Over the last couple of weeks, I have read or seen implied that a few of our young basketball players might be better off entering the transfer portal. Seemingly it appears that this action is to make a scholarship or two available for a transfer with more proven ability or a better fit. Now I am referring to part-time players or what some would call bench or squad players, but I might call them developing players. I recognize that the college basketball landscape has changed. But I think we must be careful, looking for instant success or gratification.

I will provide an example of what a player can develop into over a full college career. There was a player at NCSU that wasn't really highly recruited in his day. He averaged two points and one assist his first year in only playing 19 games, his second year he averaged 1.7 points and 1.8 assists in even fewer games. I do not remember an injury being involved. Nowadays it would be suggested that he was playing at a level above where he should be. And we would have I assume posters and even moderators suggesting a transfer. This player did not transfer. We did not run him off. He averaged 10 points a game his junior year and started over half the games. His senior year he started every game and averaged 15.9 points and 4.9 assists. He was drafted with the 29th pick in the NBA Draft. He played 12 seasons in the NBA with his best year averaging 14.5 points and starting all 82 games for San Antonio Spurs in 1995-1996.

Now would that happen today - my guess is not. The point I am trying to make is that these are young players who are still developing and not the finished product yet. A team has 13 scholarships and perhaps with NIL funding another player or two. Plenty of bench space in my mind. So let's not try to run off players, who haven't had instant great success for our team but may be very successful as they reach full maturation. There is still a role for solid bench players who can also make the team dynamic much better.

The player was Vinny Del Negro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News