ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball Latest on Manny Bates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Carter

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2004
• Last night when the rumors started circulating, it was a shock to those around the NC State program that I reached out to in attempts to confirm. The thought that Manny Bates, generally considered to have one of the better relationships with Kevin Keatts on the roster, in line to play 35 minutes a game next season and developing an impressive rate under Keatts, would leave did not make sense to many.

However, the rumors were strong and I have reason to believe they initially came from folks who were close to Bates' camp, hence why it caught many at NC State off guard.

• Piecing things together, lots of talk about tampering, but also some chatter that the Bates camp may have opened that door/put out feelers. As Joe Giglio said in his tweets, "Who doesn't like to be wooed/courted and told nice things?"

Why would Bates do that (if he did in fact do that)? While it is generally agreed that Keatts/Bates had a great relationship, doesn't mean there were not some differences that developed. There are some rumors of a couple of issues that Bates' camp felt could have been handled differently. I don't know all sides/fact to report on those at this point.

The reality is that in the age of the transfer portal/one-time immediate transfer option, the pendulum has swung 180 degrees into the players' direction. Probably right for the players, but we are seeing the unintended consequences of what it creates for the game in general.

Hence one difference that may emerge between coach and player, even if it is a small one or one that in pre-portal years would have been an easy one to get over and move past in due time (which is the category of where the aforementioned rumors would fall), now turns into a potential transfer decision.

• Bottom line, if you are asking me at 10:45 a.m., on Tuesday morning if this is it for Bates at NC State, my guess, with a good degree of confidence, is yes, looks that way. Caveat is that relationship between Keatts/Bates that could smooth things out with time to reflect, or perhaps Bates gets second thoughts and realizes he has a good thing going at NC State.

Georgetown has been a popular rumor about a destination, but I have not heard anything concrete to confirm that beyond the speculation.

• This whole episode is further reality that program-building is an unrealistic proposition now in college basketball. It's strictly a year-to-year deal. It has been trending that way, but now is full-blown there. Going to take some time to adjust to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News