ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about our 4-2-5 defense

Greywolf1937

Dream Team
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2012
The 4-3 we started with in 2013 was quietly retired sometime before the start of the 2014 season -- probably before spring practice and maybe even earlier. Designing and installing Doeren's version of the 4-2-5 was painful and the coaches caught a lot of flack because of it. People were screaming for the return of the 4-3.

This 4-2-5 is fluid, constantly changing. Not only are we moving around before the ball is snapped, you never know what you are going to get when it is snapped. Calling our 4-2-5 a nickel defense is like calling a Maserati a car. We are doing a lot , a whole lot, more than we could with the nickel.

I was watching the EweNC game yesterday -- I do that a lot -- checking out what the defense was doing. The holes had a false start. When they came back to the LOS we were in an entirely different alignment. I didn't see the same set twice or so it seemed.

Syracuse paid the price when McKever dropped into coverage, maybe the only time he did. In the holes game once Art Norman dropped back and played Mike linebacker letting rush/blitz. When you have intelligent football players you can do that stuff.

People say that Doeren runs the defense. I say that's just the reverse is true. Doeren is the designer/architect and Hux is the manager/coordinator who see that the design is implemented and the troops are trained. Hux may not be the brilliant DC that some others are but he is getting his part of the deal done. A bigger ego wouldn't work.

This arrangement allows Doeren the time to be HC.

Is this all true? Is any of it true? Maybe, maybe not. It's my story and I'm sticking to it.
wink.r191677.gif

Link to EweBC game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlGY34nXnUA if you are interested and don't have it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News