ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk some O-line

Greywolf1937

Dream Team
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2012
I loved reading the thoughts about how to utilize our RB "talent glut." well, almost all. Those trying to sell red-shirting as a solution didn't get the job done with me.

Regarding red shirting the O-line might be a different matter. Occasionally a true freshman can step in and win a spot but it's much more difficult IMO. The OL requires IMO physical maturity, strength and toughness.

Before getting started I want to acknowledge the job Schooley did coming in and winning the center competition. Schooley had not played center before and was a 2nd string JUCO guard. Not my highest rated prospect. If there ever was a question about our staff's ability to spot talent, the Schooley find should lay that to rest.

The #1 OL will likely have Adams, Schooley and Thuney with Barr at RT and ____?____ at LT. It's too bad Daris Workman, (JUCO) didn't make in early. Having him in camp for spring practice would have helped both him and Coach U. Competition for the LT slot should be fierce.

The military has a phrase for evaluating personnel, Rack and Stack. Fall camp will open with the OL racked and stacked. Freshmen who didn't enroll early will have their work cut out for them to break into the stack.

Terrone Prescod, Eric Chute, Tyler Jones, Will Richardson will IMO compete. What about Tyler Reagan, and Bryce Kennedy? Is they in the mix for playing time? If the S&C folks got it done with Prescod, he could be a bull-dozier opening holes for the inside running game.

I include true freshman TJ McCoy in the mix since he is an early enrollee. McCoy apparently has a very high football IQ and has already impressed with his leadership. I know it's in the future but I predict McCoy will play center and Adams move to left guard when Thuney graduates.

Enough to start a discussion. Let's have at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News