ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball Manny Bates thread, take two...

Matt Carter

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2004
The other one dissolved into an argument so starting a new one to get it back on track.

A synopsis for those who forgot:

• On Monday evening, we received texts and calls about rumors that Manny Bates was leaving NC State. When reaching out to sources around the program, they expressed their shock if true and acknowledge that the first they were hearing about it was online. That led me to believe most of the rumors started from people outside the program. I speculated it may have come from people close to Bates. I don't know if that's the case or not.

• On Tuesday morning, there seemed to be little reservation from a lot of people that the rumors are probably true. Rumors of a couple of areas of differences that have emerged (Joe Giglio reported on one revolving around Bates' plans to explore the NBA Draft), but as I noted, both of the "differences" I heard about were stuff that typically get quietly and amicably resolved (especially in a case where it's well-known that the player-coach relationship by all accounts is good), but the nature of the transfer portal/non sit-out rule changes those dynamics.

• Tuesday afternoon, NC State basketball SID Craig Hammel sent out a tweet confirming a team meeting that included Manny Bates. Big picture, from talking to sources, read it into exactly what it is: Bates is still participating in team activities and he has not entered the transfer portal. Doesn't mean it might not happen, but talk of imminent departure was premature. I've heard that Bates seemed in good spirits at the meeting.

• What's next? Who knows. In the past this is one of those situations where we probably would have waited and seen how it played out before letting the cat out of the bag if necessary, but in these times that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News