ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NC State two-time national champion Nick Gwiazdowski moves on from Wolfpack RTC …

Ryan_Tice

Habitual Line Stepper
May 26, 2009
Durham, NC
www.thewolfpacker.com
NC State has had to fight off several teams/regional training centers (RTCs) to keep Gwiazdowski in Raleigh as long as they have, but a team in his home state has finally done it. Gwiz, a two-time world bronze medalist since graduating from NC State, will go to Cornell's RTC, Spartan Combat.

I could also see him taking on some sort of coaching role with Spartan RTC/Cornell, which may have played into the decision, but the story below doesn't mention that.

Regardless, he played a huge role in getting the NC State wrestling team to where it is now — even after his graduation — and mentored several Wolfpackers during his time here. I remember one year after NC State had a disappointing NCAA tournament performance, after he had graduated, he told me: "I have to step it up" and took the disappointing performance really hard. IIRC that was the year before they took fourth.

From the story linked below:

“I honestly never saw myself leaving North Carolina,” Gwiazdowski said of his home of the past nine years. “When [Cornell head coach] Mike [Grey] reached out at the beginning of June, it was hard to picture leaving at first. But as I learned more and thought more about it, I realized what exciting opportunities there are for me in Ithaca. I’m excited to have some different bodies and different brains around me, to help me grow as a wrestler and challenge me technically, physically and mentally. It’s a really nice area and there’s a winning tradition and a commitment to success.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News