ADVERTISEMENT

NC State wrestling recruiting breakdown (UPDATE: HUGE class of 2019 news)

Ryan_Tice

Habitual Line Stepper
May 26, 2009
Durham, NC
www.thewolfpacker.com
I’ve finally had the time to put together a post on the NC State recruiting class, as it stands now. Just to set the stage a bit — when FloWrestling ranked the classes in October, it checked in at No. 9 nationally … though they have lost one since (Quinn Kinner decommitted) and added several big senior pledges, notably consensus top-25 recruit Trent Hidlay, younger brother of Hayden, who made the NCAA finals at 157 pounds as a redshirt freshman.

Hidlay is a brawler who could step into the lineup right away, if needed. Depending how the lineup shakes out (my thoughts on that here), the other freshmen I’d watch for to contribute immediately would be Jarett Trombley, Josiah Rider and either one of the 197 pounders or possibly the heavyweight, Collin Lawler. I'm not counting anybody out because some guys thrive moving to a college room, some don't, but those are the handful I would deem the most likely to have a chance in the lineup next year.

After doing some recent digging, I was told meetings between coaches and wrestlers for what weight they will go next year haven’t all happened yet, but the biggest decision may be whether rising fifth-year senior Malik McDonald goes 197 or heavyweight. I was a little shocked to hear McDonald could go back down to 197 — where he was an NCAA qualifier in 2017 before splitting heavyweight with NCAA qualifier Michael Boykin this past year. He would likely be an NCAA qualifier type at heavyweight, but I think his ceiling rises significantly to a possible All-America candidate at 197. That will obviously determine if a freshman steps in at 197 or heavyweight (there were no heavyweights on the roster outside of McDonald and Boykin this year), and there’s also rising redshirt junior Tyler Johnson, a former top-100 recruit, at 197 as well.

But, back to recruiting. Here’s a look at the current senior signees/commits and junior commits. I’ve heard they are high on the list for several juniors they think highly of. The important thing to remember in recruiting for a sport like wrestling, which has 9.9 scholarships to split between 10 starters, success isn’t just landing highly ranked guys — a lot of it is about how much money you’re giving who. For example, obviously you can throw full rides at a few top guys but then you might end up with 3 studs and 7 holes in the rest of the lineup. It’s a delicate balance, but NC State has been ultra-successful with several guys they got for “free” — I believe three-time All-American Kevin Jack, who just completed his career, and rising redshirt sophomore Tariq Wilson, who just placed third at NCAAs, technically came on as walk-ons. The coaches really like Wilson’s cousin, Anthony Rice, who on paper might not look like that strong of a get, but if they got him for zero scholarship money, it changes things.

Also, real quick on transfers — I mentioned in my previous post about the future of wrestling, NC State was looking good for a possible sixth-year senior transfer who is a former All-American (he hasn’t been granted his sixth year yet to my knowledge, and I haven’t heard of a commit or anything like that yet either).

This isn’t him, but here’s another transfer who told FloWrestling he’s interested in four specific schools, including NC State, but also anywhere that would help him win a national title — 149-pound former All-American Justin Oliver from Central Michigan. The news he was granted a release literally just broke, but he’s a three-time NCAA qualifier at 149 pounds, finished seventh in 2016 and was knocked out in the blood round each of the last two years. NC State nearly got him out of high school and I'd call 149 a position of need, so I wouldn't be shocked if his last year of eligibility came in Raleigh. Like I said, long ways to go though as the news of his release just came out.

On to the main event (it’s long because the incoming class is huge)…

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News