ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Saturday's adidas event updates...

Jacey Zembal

Jun 15, 2007
The gang was almost all in town Saturday at adidas’ event in Spartanburg, S.C.

NC State head coach Kevin Keatts and assistant coaches Kareem Richardson and James Johnson took in the action.

I took in eight games and most of a ninth, from the 15s and 16s to the 17s. First, lets start with some major news. One source said Utah center Dusan Mahorcic did not officially visit NC State and looks to be fading from the transfer portal board. Going to four previous colleges was probably a bit too much, so the search for a center continues.

Queens University transfer Jamari Smith could get a look, due in part to some nice stats, but also his bloodlines. He’s the son of former LSU center Jabari Smith Sr. and brother of Auburn star Jabari Smith Jr. The 6-foot-8, 220-pounder averaged 17.6 points and 7.1 rebounds per game and shot an impressive 40 percent from three-point land (44 of 110).

The morning started with some excitement. We’ve been touting the in-state class of 2025 as the year of the point guard. Team Loaded NC 15s point guard Trevor Best erupted for 25 first-half points. The Raleigh Word of God freshman finished with 31 points and he has the makings of being a productive score-first point guard. I can appreciate a player who brings his A game at 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning.

At the main hub I got to see Garner Road 17s play Wiz Kids of New York City. I have to admit that reclassed junior Antonio Chol keeps impressing at power forward. He goes to Minnesota Prep, so he’s not local, but has a tie-in to High Point, N.C. He had 22 points, 12 rebounds and went 3 of 5 from three-point land and he’s a legit 6-8. At this time last year, he was a low/mid-major, but I think he’ll end up in a major conference.

NC State coaches watched Southeast Elite of Florida, which has a promising freshman point guard, but the player who caught my eye was junior wing Isaac Tapia of North Florida Educational Institute. I don’t know much about his recruitment but he looks legit.

NCSU coaches checked in D1 Minnesota and Team Trae Young. I came away impressed with junior guard Ja’Kolbe Walters of McKinley, Texas. He’s smooth and can stroke the jumper. Junior Kaden Cooper of Oklahoma had coachers buzzing with his athleticism and strong frame.

I got to see Garner Road 16s for a second time, against a pretty good Indiana Elite squad, which has an ideal stretch four in Cooper Koch of Peoria, Ill., and a talented sophomore center from the Congo in Flory Bidunga of Kokomo (Ind.) High. Koch’s dad played at Iowa.

Indiana Elite rolled, but Paul McNeil did Paul McNeil type of things. He’s a gifted scorer and had his jumper working. Rakease Passmore probably topped his dunk from yesterday, catching a body at the rim. Passmore was a little uneven with his jumper but he is improved from when I saw him in December. UNC, Kansas and Kentucky had assistants at the game.

The game of the day was easily Compton Magic vs. Mass Rivals. Freshman Koa Peat plays like a senior and is bigger live than expected after seeing him on TV. His brother was tackle Andrus Peat, who was ranked No. 32 overall in the country in football in the class of 2012, and he went to Stanford and was the No. 13 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft to the New Orleans Saints.

Peat is a Paolo Banchero clone but maybe even a little more advanced at the same stage. Compton Magic also has Andrej Stojakovic, the son of Peja Stojakovic. Their games are eerily similar in some ways.

Mass Rivas won in overtime and they are a tough, defensive-minded group. Sophomore Kur Teng won the game in overtime with a 3-pointer and he’s ranked No. 45 overall in the country by Rivals.

A lot of raves this weekend for Word of God junior guard Freddie Dilione of Team Loaded NC. I got to see him and he had nine points in the first half, and then went scoreless in the second. Texas was watching him I believe.

Junior Ladji Dembele of NYC Jayhawks is a pretty underrated post player who goes to St. Benedict’s in New Jersey. Wake Forest offered him April 12 and that’s his only offer. He’s an ACC caliber big man.

In other news, I’ve heard that we can retire the Jordan Vick leaving Bailey Southern Nash narrative, at least for next year. Being near his family will keep him around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News