ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Some ACC Tournament seeding speculation …

Ryan_Tice

Habitual Line Stepper
May 26, 2009
Durham, NC
www.thewolfpacker.com
Wanted to provide a little wrestling update here with ACC Championships coming up Sunday …

- ACC brackets are supposed to be released early afternoon tomorrow.

- There are a few instances where the seedings could go any which way (seeds 3-5 at 149, seeds 1-5 at 165, basically all of 197, etc.). Part of that is because they were instances where guy A beat guy X, but lost to guy Y and guy Y lost to X but beat A. The other part is the seeds are based on coaches' votes, so you never know how some will vote …

Despite that, I still "projected" ACC seeds based on conference records over the weekend.

Anybody who has been listening to me all year won't be surprised, but based on my projected seeds (again, an exercise in futility … but I still did it), if you put them into a tournament scoring rubric (where the better seed wins each matchup) the margin between NC State and Virginia Tech for the title is razor thin. I have it at 3 team points, which since the rubric doesn't take bonus points into account can be swung by one upset or a few bonus points.

One point separated UNC and Virginia for third, but they were a pretty good distance behind NC State and VT.

The good news based on my projected seeds is that NC State has quite a few that I think can finish significantly higher than their projected seeds. That can build up quite a margin, especially since right now where I projected 133 Jarrett Trombley, 149 Ed Scott and 165 Thomas Bullard to be seeded, they aren't expected to score. I would be shocked if that were the case, and keep in mind any one of those guys finishing fourth would net NC State 3.5 team points each (plus any possible bonus points).

We'll have plenty of wrestling content coming later this week, but figured I'd get the ball rolling with some fun speculation …

The postseason is here! That was something I wasn't necessarily sure if I'd be able to type in Feb. 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News