ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Two former NC State wrestlers have MMA fights tonight …

Ryan_Tice

Habitual Line Stepper
May 26, 2009
Durham, NC
www.thewolfpacker.com
The headliner is former NCAA champion Darrion Caldwell, who is moving back down to bantamweight (135 pounds) and has a rematch against Leandro Higo, who he submitted in 2:36 for his first (and only) Bellator bantamweight title defense, back in March 2018. Caldwell had competed his last three rights at featherweight (145) while taking part in the Bellator Featherweight Grand Prix (champion gets $1 million; Caldwell lost in semifinals in November). He's also recently moved across the country and changed camps to Sanford MMA in Florida.

Caldwell is the co-main event on Showtime tonight. Prelims start at 5:30 p.m. on YouTube and the Showtime portion of the card begins at 9 p.m. Caldwell is the fourth fight of the main card, so I'm betting he might be fighting around 10:30-11ish, but that's very unofficial.

To be honest, I'm not sure how Higo got a rematch so quickly since he's gone 2-1 since the Caldwell loss. He also missed weight his last fight and missed weight again this morning, and is currently listed No. 6 at his weight in the Bellator rankings (Caldwell was not listed, presumably because he's been going up and down in weight).

Here's a recent video interview with Caldwell ahead of tonight's fight.

One other former NC State wrestler (though he was only here for one year before transferring home to Wyoming, where he was an NCAA runner-up twice) — Bryce Meredith — is making his MMA debut tonight on UFC Fight Pass as part of Legacy Fighting Alliance's LFA 108. He's also fighting at bantamweight, and is making his MMA debut, however he's widely regarded as a top MMA prospect because of his high wrestling pedigree and length at the weight. I believe he's on the main card that starts at 9 p.m. and he faces Steven Merrill, who has a professional record of 5-6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News