ADVERTISEMENT

FAQs about new changes...

Jacey Zembal

Jun 15, 2007
Welcome NC State Wolfpack fans to a familiar name and style, just in a new 2021 twist.

For more than 14 years, the standard at the NC State Rivals site has been high, and that will hopefully continue under The Wolfpack Central.

Are you healthy again?

Fair question. I had the genetic bad luck of having Acute Myeloid Leukemia, with numerous symptoms starting in mid-March 2020, and the diagnosis coming April 30, 2020. I began chemotherapy and took a huge pill called midostaurin or Rydapt while at Duke Hospital for 30 days in May 2020, by myself due to Covid.

I lost my hair but not my vibe and got to know the medical people there. One nurse went to NC State and told me how she partied in the Brickyard after the Wolfpack won the basketball title in 1983. Several other nurses had or did adopt rescue dogs from Saving Grace NC, another important part of my life.

I had two scary moments, plus a third that emerged as time went on. I suffered from Sepsis after an infection creeped in and that wasn’t a good situation, but I came out of it after a week in the summer of 2020. After my bone marrow transplant, I had what is called Delirium in late September/early October.

I basically have little recollection of that time period and I wasn’t anything like myself as a result. Combine that with refusing to eat and take pills, and it’s clear from what others have told me, that was rock bottom for maybe three weeks.

The next challenge involved Host vs. Graft disease, which affected my appetite and lungs. It led to losing over 70 pounds and eventually the ability to walk without the aid of a walker.

I got out of the hospital a shell of my former self right before Thanksgiving in Nov. 2020. My life changed for the better when Host vs. Graft disease went away and I was walking again. Then I became determined to walk 2-3 miles a day, whether in the neighborhood or Lake Lynn in Raleigh.

Life was returning to normal by mid-June but the work life component needed a full-time opportunity. I was ready to roll, but needed the chance. Everything came together perfectly and I targeted the CP3 Rising Stars Camp on Aug. 21-22 at the Greensboro (N.C.) Sportsplex as my chance to see where I was physically. After being on my feet for 7 1/2 hours, I knew I was good with the “new normal.” I also had started attending high school football games starting Aug. 13.

Some individuals dropped me since getting diagnosed 18 months ago, and some have been in steady contact throughout. For the latter, I am appreciative.

Is anyone from the previous staff remaining?

No. I look at it that I never wanted to leave my job, but everyone else around me did. I am committed to seeing this through and hope I have earned the added up equity to prove it. So many people supported me during my Leukemia journey, and this is just another way of being able to do so.

Any changes to your username for the message boards?

Nope. What you have always experienced in the past will continue with the same tone and style remaining. Simply don’t be mean or rude and enjoy the renamed message boards “Hands In The Dirt” for football, and “1974 & 1983” for basketball. The hoops board will change if it becomes 1974, 1983 and 20-whatever.

What will the content look like?

Hopefully, informative and interesting to NC State fans. It won’t be identical to my last stint with NC State Rivals, but many of the old stand bys will remain. The heartbeat will be recruiting for numerous reasons. A prime example of that is doing a 20th anniversary oral history of the class of 2001 men’s basketball class that helped save former coach Herb Sendek’s job and snapped a lengthy drought of reaching the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

The Wolfpack Central talked to each member of the class for 30-50 minutes, and all five were completely candid and entertaining. Doing the 40 years of NC State men’s basketball recruiting was one of my previous favorites, and a project I finished up right before starting chemotherapy at Duke Hospital. The 2001 class is great at story telling. If I was a radio guy, I would have made a fancy 99.9 FM-esque kind of podcast, but I play to my journalistic strengths.

Covering recruiting in football and men’s basketball will be fun. For some reason, few like to do both, but I always have for over 20 years. For anyone who has seen my past work, I hope that shines through.

What else has changed?

The other changes involve social media. I built it up before and will slowly do it again, but will welcome everyone’s help, plus a good word of mouth campaign in subscribing.

Follow on Twitter:

@NCStateRivals or @JaceyZembal

Subscribe for free on YouTube:

For Jacey Zembal or The Wolfpack Central

Like on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/TheWolfpackCentral

I am not sure if I’ll include Instagram in the future or not. That is still to be determined, and same for Tik Tok.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News