ADVERTISEMENT

Becoming winners

AgWolf

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2005
Wallace, NC
Excerpt from Matt's column "Good Times in Raleigh" (good read, don't miss it)...

Worked really hard to get to this point,” Doeren insisted. “Told our team it was coming, told y’all it was coming. Some of you believed me, some of you didn’t, but I’m really excited. You can just feel it right now in our locker room. They believe they are the best team. They are playing hard, they’re playing together and they’re tough. It’s fun, it’s a lot of fun.”

Doeren noted that his squad had to learn the definition of perseverance over the years, but the end result of the maturation process is a culture of accountability.

“We have a culture right now that has taken time to build and I’m thankful that I’ve had time to do it because right now it’s taking care of itself, and those guys do not want to let our seniors down,” Doeren explained

I understand the reluctance, the standoffishness, in fully embracing what is a really good Wolfpack football team. We're so used to that not being who we are. We're so used to coming really close, just to see it slip through our fingers. You know... "State stuff"! That was then. This is now. Get over it and get with the program.

Some could see this coming. Doeren mentions it in his comments above. Can you now please try to support the team, and enjoy the ride? You're gonna miss a really great time if you're just hanging around waiting for the bubble to burst.

Building a winning program is a process. Slow at times, and not always pretty. And from where we had to come from, some get frustrated that it's not any quicker... Get over yourself. Ain't about you. Doeren is building a football program for the long haul. He has the best chance to do that of any coach we've ever had. But he can't do it alone. He needs the support of the fanbase. This team, these young men need the support of the fanbase. There may be hiccups along the way, there usually are, but we can't just throw in the towel at the first opportunity. Suck it up as a fan, and be there for the players and coaches. Because they're gonna suck it up as players and coaches, and be there for the fans. If we all stick together, there can be many more Thursday nights in our future! Isn't that what we all keep doing this for?

The players had to learn how to be competitive first, and then how to be winners... Winning is "hands-on". You've gotta do it first to understand what it takes. This team, this program is learning how to win! Now, let us as fans see if we can learn how to win... Go Wolfpack!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News