ADVERTISEMENT

Big picture on the STATE of the big 3 sports at NC State...

JPack71

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2011
I was once again watching the 30 for 30 on the '83 team and thinking about how long it has been since the last championship in any of the big 3 sports by a NC State team and how IMO the lack of a visionary at NC State when it comes to making hiring and firing decisions has hampered the goal of most our fans which is to win championships. After doing some research one glaring fact not only blew me away but also put things into perspective as to just how bad things have been and where we are currently.

Out of the 64 teams, that currently make up the schools of the Power 5 conferences, we (NC State) are the only one of those 64 teams who has not won at least one championship in one of the three major sports over the past 20 year span (going back to 1995). That means yes, that even schools like Iowa State, N'Western, Texas Tech and Oregon State have won championships, but we somehow have managed to go "championshipless" over such a long span.

So forgive me when I post things like I would rather win an ACC Championship than make the Sweet 16. Or for getting a bit passionate and expressive when our coaches are being paid good money (like all three of our big sport coaches are) and not producing or in most cases even competing for championships. Or worse, when they are taking very talented teams and having them collapse and fall far short of reasonable expectations of competing for championships (like Avent two years ago and Gott his second year). Don't tell me that all of those other 63 teams are spending more money, or have nicer facilities, don't have to overcome some questionable officiating, don't lose players unexpectedly, don't have key injuries, aren't young in some years, or any other excuse that is thrown around by some of our fans every time we fall short. It's past time for this school to begin to expect better, hold people (coaches, ADs, etc) accountable and do what every other "so called big time program" in America has done at some point in the last 20 years....WIN a championship in a sport that matters!

Reactions: macd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News