ADVERTISEMENT

First day of practice...

Jacey Zembal

Jun 15, 2007
I got to watch a little over an hour of the first day of practice, taking lots of photos, so I basically now have a good feel for the size of nearly each player. I doubt the photo gallery will have every player, but 85 percent of the roster is a good benchmark.

Some years, you feel the team is really big or really small, but I'd call this year's team sleek. There are very few players who look out of place for their position, size-wise, and I think a lot of that goes into the recruiting process. NC State has a certain standard they want players to meet at each position and study the NFL Draft on what guys are from a size standpoint that get drafted. Add in the work of S&C coach Dantonio Burnette and things have come together.

Two of the fun highlights in 7-on-7 was nickel Robert Kennedy getting a nice interception and wide receiver Keyon Lesane got deep for a touchdown against cornerback Aydan White. Nothing crazy about what appeared to be the depth chart at linebacker and with the defensive backs, but Kennedy, Jakeen Harris and Devin Boykin were the safeties and nickel, and Sean Brown was the backup safety.

Jordan Poole, Caden Fordham and Jayland Parker were the backup linebackers with Torren Wright the seventh linebacker.

Clemson transfer Dacori Collins was in a green jersey at wide receiver, but he looks the part of a former touted high school prospect. Easily the biggest of the receivers I think. Junior college cornerback Terrente Hinton is also put together differently than the other cornerbacks.

Wide receiver Porter Rooks was with Kevin Concepcion at slot receiver, so they get coached by Robert Anae. You can see how close Concepcion and fellow freshman Javonte Vereen are. You see one, you usually see the other kind of deal.

Wide receiver Julian Gray was with the outside receivers.

It was good to see Cecil Powell out there, and I think he'll get tried at nickel, but we'll see. Boykin and Kennedy can both play nickel, but the depth at the position seems TBD. Isaiah Crowell and Darius Edmondson are also in that mix.

It's going to take a bit to get used to guys in new uniform numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News