ADVERTISEMENT

Lighten UP on Beck and the OL, they were not the issue

remotecougar

Dream Team
Nov 11, 2007
After re-watching the game, I am not sure I want to blame the coaches or the OL for the lack of running game, or offensive production at least not in the 1st half. In the first half basic execution of simple pass plays was lacking. It killed our first possession when we did not execute a simple pitch and catch on second down, and then on third down took a low percentage choice over an open high percentage choice. That is not play calling and that is not the OL. That is execution and poor decisions. So, we go three and out

ON our second possession we start off with a running play and Pennix blows up his man and we get six yards . IF Belton takes the right angle to the second level, we have an explosive play. On the second play they overload the box and bring the safety down hard. Perfect time to audible to a pass play as there are too many guys in the box to block. We still get a yard, but poor execution on a 3rd and short on a bootleg and we have our second straight three and out. Can’t blame this on the OL or the play calls.

We score on the 3rd possession because we executed better. On 1st and 10 we go TE right. they put six in the box, and we win 6 yards. On second down they have six in the box with a safety creeping up we audible to an outside screen where we have numbers and gain six yards. This is the way the offense is supposed to work. We run on 1st down again and our TE wins against their six guys in the box and we get 6 yards. We line up in a running formation they bring six in the box plus their safety down hard after the snap and Leary throws behind him for 16 yards. We are clicking and then commit two penalties. We run a screen and then a deep in route where Thomas and Leary make a play. This is doing it the hard way. OL does their job as it took a long time for this route to develop. Next play they send their safety down because they are afraid of the run and Thayer run into the empty spot and scores.

We get three more possessions in the first half. On possession # 4 1 & 10 we have 3 wide outs to one side and TE to another. They are stacked against the run and their safety is leaning to run support. This is a for sure audible to a throw. We don’t, and we get nothing, we then poorly execute the next two pass plays, another 3 an out. This was a prime example of not doing what we did on the previous possession throwing the outside screen where we had numbers. This is an automatic call for the QB. On the next possession 1&10 we have a TE and they have six in the box and a safety coming down hard, perfect time to throw. No one accounts for #24 and we get nothing. Our guys have too many people to block. So far other than Mackay, whiffing on one block and Belton taking a bad angle on a positive play the OL is doing their job. On Sumo TD run it is great power play, LG kicks out, 64/50double team, LT seal the first person who shows, and Belton gets to the next level and Sumo makes one person miss. Great OL play.

The second half is not bad plays calls as much as it is poor execution and poor decisions and the OL had some pretty good moments.

1st possession of the first half we run against six in the box twice in a row for positive yards and a first down. Then we throw for 10 yards which baffled me as that was the first time the box had only five defenders. We run the power play again with six defenders in the box on first down and get four yards. We get a penalty and then Leary misses his read and we Punt.

We come out throwing on the next possession maybe because we got a penalty to start the drive. We get a first down on a big pass play and then run twice more 7 and 5 yards to get a second first down on the drive. That sets up a play action pass for 24 yards and now we are down on their 24. They put seven in the box on first down, and we run a pitch instead of audible to a outside receiver. We still get four yards. We get 3 on second down and have 3rd and three. OL does a good job and we run for 9. We are on the 8 first and goal and get six yards running on 1st down. Instead of running the ball again we throw a pass “ attention I have no idea what Beck was thinking on this one”. I am not sure they ran the play like it was drawn up but it left me scratching my head. 3rd and two and we fumble on the ½ yard line.

We get the ball back on their 23 yard line. 1st down pass play and Leary makes a bad decision and does not check down to Sumo for an easy 5-10 yards. Good play call but when it was not open you check it down. The next play was blocked well . Sumo won the starting job on this play, and we are now 1st and goal on the 1 yard line. I Like the next play call where the TE is kicking out the force player on the left side. If you look at Provillion who is a wide out playing LTE he does a great job blocking down to create space, without out pennix he seems to be our best blocking TE at 205 lbs.. The play is doomed as the RTE , Toudle total whiffs, I mean totally whiffs and the play gets blown up. If he just gets a piece of the ECU force player Sumo walks in. Up to this point I cannot complain about the OL or the play calls. However, here is where I have some criticism. If you are going to play tough ball put in the jumbo package, however it appears that we do not have a Jumbo package of TE’s. So don't do it and certainly don't line cup in the shot gun and run plays where they can fill gaps against our ineffective blocking TE's . Bring in some beef if you want to play that way. So I have an issue with play the next two play calls coming from that formation and the gun. and I totally disagree with going for it on 4th down. It is elementary to take the points and turn the game into a 2 score lead. This is DD, not the OL or the OC. If you are going to go jumbo the jumbo guys have to get it done.

The last two series was simply bad execution. It does not matter what you call when you execute it that poorly.

In summary, I think everyone is over reacting to the fumble on the goal line and inability to actually have a jumbo package to play jumbo football so they malign the OC and the OL. I think DD caused the goal line issue and Leary did not make good decisions throughout the game but damn he can drive the ball down field. Leary will be fine, and sometimes DD has to learn things the hard way. The good news it is not the OL or Beck, and Sumo is our new feature back and Leary will probably not make as many bad decisions in one afternoon again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News