ADVERTISEMENT

NC State versus UNC Wrestling

remotecougar

Dream Team
Nov 11, 2007
# 4 NC State versus #19 UNC

Last match of the year. We match up well with UNC and are going for the 10th win in a row against UNC. That is dominance. We are highly favored, however, there could be some twists and turns in the match up, some about who might actually wrestle and of course we seem to bring out their best which can make some matchups tighter than anticipated.

Who will wrestle:
I will not be surprised if Jarret Trombley is held back at 125. He has already clinched the 1st seed for the ACC tournament and thus giving freshman Troy Hohman a chance to wrestle. I see him wrestling if the match leads off at 125 as you can not take anything for granted but I can see allowing Hohman to wrestle if that risk is mitigated.

I also question who is going to wrestle for UNC and State at 174. If senior Clay Lautt goes for UNC, then you may see Alex Faison go for State which will be a good match up. Lautt has wrestled infrequently this year making me think he is dealing with some health issues. Lautt losing two weeks ago in overtime to Luca Augustine from Pitt who Faison beat in overtime last week. If UNC puts out someone different than Luatt, State might choose to allow any of a number of kids at 174.

Unc has a decent wrestler in Zach Sherman at 149 but he has wrestling infrequently this year. I think Jackson Arrington will beat him but it will a good match up if he goes.

Owen Trephan has clinched the #1 seed at 285 perhaps he might sit as well as I believe all three of States 285 wrestlers would win against whomever would wrestle at UNC.

Great Match ups.

141 # 6 ranked Ryan Jack against UNC’s # 9 Lachlan McNeil. Ryan Jack just lost a heart breaker to Pitt’s #1 ranked Cole Matthews in overtime. McNeil just recently lost by one pt to Matthews. McNeil is hot with 10 out of 12 bonus point wins since he lost to # 5 Beau Barlett from Penn. McNeil got a 3-1 win over Jack in the preseason last year. They have both improved dramatically since that match.

157 #7 ranked Ed Scott versus UNC’S # 2 ranked Austin O’Conner. Matchups are about wrestling styles. Scott took a 24-10 loss against VT Bryce Antonian, and O’Conner beat Antonian like a drum 11-3. O’Conner is wrestling as well as anyone in the country right now. However, Ed Scott style is more suited to wrestling against O’Conner than Andonian. He beat O’Conner 3-2 at the ACC Championship last year but it appeared that O’Conner was not 100% healthy.

Expected Wins:
# 3 ranked Trent Hilday against # 14 ranked Gavin Kane. Hilday has pretty squashed Kane 11-0 last year but Kane has improved, not enough to think he will win but this is not an automatic bonus point match.

133 # 15 ranked Kai Orine is wrestling well, beating Pitt’s Phillippi last week is a breakthrough for him. UNC does not have a strong wrestler at 133

197 # 12 ranked Issacs Trumble needs to bounce back after the heartbreaking effort against Nino Bonacourrsi.

285 All of our guys are just better than their guys

Last edited:
Reactions: ASKA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News