ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling NC State wrestling opens season vs. Gardner-Webb Sunday at 1 p.m. (LIVE updates)

Ryan_Tice

Habitual Line Stepper
May 26, 2009
Durham, NC
www.thewolfpacker.com
Here are the probable lineups from GoPack.com's preview (match is at 1 p.m. and will be streamed on ESPN+):

NC State Wolfpack (0-0) at Gardner-Webb (0-0)
125: #7 R-So. Jakob Camacho vs. Fr. Aedyn Concepcion
133: #16 R-So. Jarrett Trombley vs. R-Jr. Trevon Majette
141: #10 R-Sr. Tariq Wilson vs. R-Jr. Brandon Bright
149: Fr. Ed Scott vs. R-Fr. Jacson Muldrew
157: #2 R-Sr. Hayden Hidlay vs. R-Jr. Taylor Parks
165: #8 R-Sr. Thomas Bullard vs. R-So. RJ Mosley
174: #11 R-Sr. Daniel Bullard vs. So. Samuel Mora
184: Jr. Jacob Ferreira vs. R-Jr. Evan Schenk
197: R-Sr. Nick Reenan vs. R-So. Jack Trautman
285: #19 Jr. Deonte Wilson vs. R-Jr. Anthony Perrine

The obvious name missing is top-5 184-pounder Trent Hidlay, a national title contender despite being just a redshirt sophomore. He's still recovering from his recent appendectomy, but the expectation is he'll be back eventually.

Gardner-Webb went on the road last year and beat Duke by one last year, to give you an idea of their team's level. 165 RJ Mosley is probably their best wrestler, but they didn't have anybody qualify for NCAAs last year. Mosley, 174 Samuel Mora and 141 Brandon Bright all placed fourth at the 2020 SoCon Championships to tie for the team high.

184 Evan Schenk had a competitive match vs. Duke's Mason Eaglin last year IIRC, and Eaglin was solid, so that caught my eye. Looking through heavyweight Anthony Perrine's resume, he's had some close matches against decent competition two years ago and redshirted last season without getting many matches so could be someone to watch for them as well.

Still, Pack should roll in this one. The thing I'll be watching closest will be how 197 Nick Reenan looks out there. I'm hoping to see lots of activity from neutral and shots. I'm sure that he could beat Trautman without having to shoot much and using his greco tricks, but hope he goes out there with a focus on taking shots and working on that aspect of his game, showing the knee is healthy.

Like I said in another thread, they're traveling a big group for other matches wrestled on another mat (I think this is coaches' solution for not having open tournaments this year, where many redshirts and backups get matches and develop, etc.). The others going for NC State:
125: Fr. Anthony Noto
133: R-So. Alex Urquiza, Fr. Ryan Jack
141: R-Fr. Kai Orine
149: R-So. Matt Grippi
157: Fr. AJ Kovacs
165: Fr. Kai Bele, Fr. Donald Cates
174: R-So. Alex Faison, Fr. Dylan Reinert
197: Jr. Tyrie Houghton
285: Jr. Colin Lawler

The wrestler from the above list I'd be most interested in seeing the results from would be 133-pound freshman Ryan Jack. I'll be writing up a full team preview with head coach Pat Popolizio's thoughts after the football game for tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: civilwolf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News