ADVERTISEMENT

New men's tennis coach announced...

Matt Carter

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2004
Press release from NC State:

Kyle Spencer has been selected to lead the NC State men's tennis program, Director of Athletics Debbie Yow announced on Wednesday. Spencer, a former Olympian and All-American, comes to the Wolfpack after spending more than four seasons as an assistant coach at Southern Methodist University (SMU), while also having previous ACC head coaching experience at Maryland.

"Kyle has an unrelenting work ethic that fits well with our Wolfpack Culture," said Yow. "He has a track record of strong success at all levels, and familiarity within our league. "I applaud (Deputy AD) Michael Lipitz on a thorough and efficient search. We welcome Kyle, his wife Kacie, and their son Max, to the Wolfpack family."

Spencer served as an assistant for two programs (USC, Baylor) that reached the Final Four.

"I would like to thank Debbie Yow and Michael Lipitz for entrusting me with leading the Wolfpack men's tennis program," said Spencer. "I believe the ACC to be the elite conference for men's tennis, and I can't wait to get started in the development of our student-athletes. Wolfpack Tennis will strive to compete and win at the highest level on the court and in all academic pursuits. I am excited for this new challenge and I look forward to reaching out to the NC State tennis alumni, and the tennis community of Raleigh and the surrounding area.

"I would like to thank the three NCAA Championship coaches (Peter Smith, Matt Knoll, and Carl Neufeld) who I have had the privilege of working alongside in preparing me for this challenge," added Spencer. "I would also like to thank my family for their support, particularly my wife Kacie who has been unwavering in her guidance, strength, and love for the past 10 years."

In four full seasons at SMU, Spencer helped lead the Mustangs to a record of 64-43 and two straight NCAA Tournament appearances in 2016 and 2017. The 2016 Mustangs finished with a record of 22-9, advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, and concluded the season with a national ranking of 22nd. Players mentored by Spencer and head coach Carl Neufield earned eight All-American Athletic Conference honors during the course of the last four seasons.

The men's tennis program at SMU was also recently honored on May 3 as a recipient of the NCAA's Public Recognition Award for scoring in the top 10 percent nationally in Academic Progress Rates (APR) from 2012-13 to 2015-16.

Prior to his time at SMU, Spencer was the head coach at the University of Maryland from 2009-12, where he worked with Yow during her tenure in College Park. He was voted the 2012 Wilson/ITA Atlantic Region Coach of the Year and led the Terrapins to a host of firsts, including their first NCAA Tournament appearance in program history during the 2010-11 season, and their first NCAA Tournament victory (over No. 20 Michigan).

Spencer's 2011 and 2012 squads won the President's Cup at Maryland, honoring the program with the highest team GPA.

He was an assistant coach at Baylor University from 2006-09, earning three straight Big XII conference championships and was recognized as ITA National Assistant Coach of the Year honors in 2009 for his efforts. During his time at Baylor, he also helped lead the Bears to a 2007 NCAA Final Four appearance, as well as Elite 8 appearances in both 2008 and 2009.

He began his college coaching career as an assistant coach at the University of Southern California (USC) from 2003-05, where he assisted the Trojans in reaching the 2004 Final Four.

Spencer has also coached a number of professional players, including Cecil Mamiit (ATP career high No. 72, Robert Kendrick (ATP career high No. 77) and Ashley Fisher (ATP career high No. 20 in doubles).

As a player, Spencer represented his native Great Britain in doubles at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and won seven professional titles on the ATP Tour. He reached his highest ATP doubles ranking (No. 126 in the world) during the summer of 2000 and was a four-time main draw participant at Wimbledon. An All-American and an Academic All-Pac 10 Team member while a player at USC, Spencer finished the 1997 collegiate season at No. 1 in the ITA doubles ranking, reaching the NCAA National Championship match with partner George Bastl. He was also a top junior, ranking No. 1 nationally in doubles at 18.

Spencer is married to the former Kacie Arnold. The couple has a three-month old son, Max.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News