ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions Needed

darkwolf46

Prospect
Oct 5, 2013
Sanford
I had one of my relatives who I am very close too call me last night, as we were talking, the subject of her son came up,as I was inquiring about how his season was going so far. He's 13 years old 6'1 and 180 lbs in the 7th grade. He goes to Smith middle school in Carrboro near holeville, anyways she was telling me how worried she was about him playing football as most mothers do. She is so frightened that he may suffer an life altering injury, as same time she does not want to discourage him from playing something he really loves. He supposedly really good, his coach raves about him, he plays multiple positions on offense and defense. He plays wide receiver and backup Qb on offensive side, on defense he plays Db/Lb, coaches had him clocked at 4:53 in the 40. She had no idea what that meant til they told her. Lol. The coach has told her if continues to improve and get stronger, he has the possibility a being a very good to being a great college prospect if he continues to work hard at it. Hes a' very good kid, he addresses all adults as sir and ma'am..that's somehow has gotten lost in today's society. It didn't help matters any after she watched the movie "Concussions", it really put a scare into her about him playing football. It is such a physical and sometimes violent contact sports. There are lot of parents steering their kids esp young men from football now with all the negativity about CTE syndrome, with some sports scientists are saying now that it affects kids at early ages who play contact sports like football, and soccer . She said she didn't want to discourage him from doing something he truly loves, while being concerned as a mother on what might be the long term effects later on down the road. She ask me my opinion, should she let him continue to play football or urge him to play others sports like basketball or baseball. I basically told her its a judgement call. I can see both sides of the issue, I played high school football in the early 80's, we never heard of concussion symptoms back then, if you got your bell rung on the field, you shook it off for a few plays and came back on the field. My, how times have changed. Does she have a right to be concerned or just a mother being overly cautious about her son's well being? Any thoughts?

Reactions: klast
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News