ADVERTISEMENT

Safety play so far...

JPack71

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2011
Coming into this season, my biggest concern on the defensive side of the ball was safety, particularly free safety. He had his limitations in pass coverage, but for all of that Tanner Ingle was a lights out run support safety from that FS position. To date, no one has stepped up to show themselves to be that type of run support safety. At the other spot, Boykin has some physical limitations that affect what he can and cannot do consistently. One player that I would like to see get some snaps defensively is Cecil Powell. Go back to just before his injury two years ago and he was starting to show flashes of being a really good corner and he along with White were the two guys I said then had the highest upside of any of the DBs on our roster. Powell has been lights on on special teams in his return, but I think we are wasting all of that size and athleticism at the moment with him only playing special teams. Maybe they are easing him back in after two years away, I don't know. But we could use a boost in athleticism at safety and the kid was a really good run support corner two years ago pre-injury. I think he's at nickel now but I would love to see us look to get him some snaps defensively. He's one of the most athletic guys on the roster.

Reactions: Kario81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News