ADVERTISEMENT

Some rambling thoughts on Eddie Faulkner's replacement possibilities...

Matt Carter

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2004
This is mainly me thinking out loud at the moment.

• One name that was mentioned by a poster on the board last night that quickly gained momentum was Colorado State tight ends coach Joe Cox. Makes some sense too especially from a recruiting standpoint. Cox was a legend at quarterback in Charlotte, playing for Independence High. He then coached at Mallard Creek, moving up to offensive coordinator when Aaron Brand took the job at Vance. Thus he probably has connections to both Mallard Creek and Vance, two of the best programs at the moment in Charlotte for prospects along with Hough, Myers Park and Providence Day. He also started at QB at Georgia, so he might have some name recognition there. Faulkner also recruited around Atlanta for NC State.

That said, NC State is also looking for a new special teams coordinator since Faulkner handled that, and Cox has yet to coach special teams. I believe, based on what I have been told, that the special teams component is a very important factor in this hire. So any potential Cox candidacy would involve him proving he can handle that.

• With special teams in mind, perusing some names last night one really stood out: Toledo tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Robby Discher. He's nominated for special teams coordinator of the year by FootballScoop.com. His units tied for the country's lead in punt blocks this year, and were among the MAC leads in punt returns, kickoff returns and kickoff coverage. One of his players was the special teams player of the year. Also, his tight end was second-team all-conference.

In 2014, Discher was working as a grad assistant at Oklahoma State where he was in charge of special teams when he was named Football Scoop's Special Teams coach of the Year. (He's also a Kansas City native, which probably would have a soft spot in Doeren's heart). Don't know about recruiting, but it caught my eye that three Charlotte kids followed him, including Pack signee Jalen Frazier. So perhaps he has some experience in Charlotte.

• Former Pack OL coach Mike Uremovich left NC State to become the offensive coordinator at Northern Illinois. His boss, Rod Carey, just took the head coaching job at Temple. Carey has not announced Uremovich as joining him yet, but I suspect that was because Uremovich was interviewing to replace Carey at NIU. Reports this morning indicated though that NIU is down to two and Uremovich is not one of them.

Doeren had a ton of respect for Uremovich prior to his leaving NC State and tried to keep him in Raleigh. Uremovich has coached tight ends/fullbacks for NIU in addition to being its OC. He also was a solid recruiter that recruited the western part of the state left vacated by Dwayne Ledford.

Another former coach, Clayton White, has been retained at WKU as its DC, but he has a long track record coaching special teams. He has limited experience coaching offense however.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News