ADVERTISEMENT

The Run Down The Wolfpacker War Room presented by JFQ Lending (Feb. 5)

Matt Carter

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2004
As an exclusive offer, JFQ Lending will cover any appraisal costs AND add an additional $500 credit for all members of TheWolfpacker.com!

Please email hclaussen@jfqlending.com or shoot NC State alum Hunter Claussen a private message (@WolfPackMortgageGuy). You can check out their website JFQLending.com as well.

•••

We decided to have an anonymous source reveal their thoughts on the NC State signing class of 2021. This source has been around the college football recruiting scene, especially in the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast region for nearly two decades now, and the source is very familiar with the Wolfpack’s personnel and recruiting.

This week, here are the thoughts on the offensive players in the class.

Wide receiver Jakolbe Baldwin from Richmond Senior in Rockingham, N.C.

“I just like him for some reason. There’s nothing that stands out. I’ve seen him in person and he’s average size and average athleticism, but he just screams to me that receiver that ends up at Wake Forest, or a school like that, because the bigger schools thought he was just a guy, and then turns out to be a receiver that could have helped [the bigger schools] and does well for Wake, or someone like that.”

“I think he can help NC State, and the beauty is they don’t really need him right away.”

Offensive lineman Lyndon Cooper from Carrollton (Ga.) High

“I have not seen Cooper in person, but I know people who have and they all remark about how big he is. He might need some time to work in the strength and conditioning program, but Carrollton High has a pretty decent track record, so if their coaches recommend him it’s worth something.

“Obviously, given his size, he’s a center or guard. It’d be really good if he could prove he could snap, but I think he can work at guard.”

Receiver Micah Crowell from East Forsyth High in Kernersville, N.C.

“Based on his sophomore film, Crowell looked like he may be big-time. NC State’s done well with those big receivers like Harmon and Emeka, but Crowell looked like he might have more open field abilities in him than those guys.

“Obviously, he hasn’t played in so long. So I wouldn’t expect him to make an immediate impact, but assuming the ACL is okay he could be really good.”

Offensive tackle Jaleel Davis from Richmond Senior in Rockingham, N.C.

“A year ago I might have said taking Davis is a reach but worth taking given his size and frame. Now I would say it’s a smart take. Offensive linemen are so hard to evaluate, but Davis looks the part and most importantly he got better, which shows you there’s a chance he can reach his upside.”

Offensive lineman Thornton Gentry from Chapin (S.C.) High

“I really like Gentry. Of the three linemen, I probably like him the most. I know some schools thought he had short arms, and that may be true. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good guard in college.

“He just moves really well for his size and seems technically sound for someone coming out of high school. I’m always partial to coaches’ sons as well.”

Wide receiver Julian Gray from Hopewell High in Huntersville, N.C.

“Gray reminds me of Maurice Trowell when he went to NC State. Similar speed and size. Both were really fast and productive. Gray did it against better competition, but Trowell also did it for a better team. I thought Trowell was going to be good at NC State and he looked like he could be, but then Eli Drinkwitz went more with the bigger receivers and I think Trowell didn’t fit in the offense as much.

“Seems like NC State is going with more of a mix of speed and size now after being all about the size for a few years.”

Quarterback Aaron McLaughlin from Denmark High in Alpharetta, Ga.

“I’ve seen him throw and the release may not be picture perfect, but there is no denying how the ball comes out. The physical tools are obvious. There are some people who didn’t recruit him, but I don’t think anyone denies the talent.

“He made an interesting decision to switch schools and that probably was a bigger deal than it should’ve been. He’s also older for his class, and that may explain why he is a bit more physically advanced than your average high schooler. Most of the concerns I heard about him were more intangibly related than anything.

“I will say this: his coach this past year at Denmark was Mike Palmieri, and he’s a no BS guy. That’s probably why him and Dave Doeren got along so well when he was at Mallard Creek [in Charlotte], so I suspect NC State has a very good read on McLaughlin.”

Tight ends Cedric and Fred Seabrough from Swainsboro (Ga.) High

“That’s a part of Georgia that gets underrecruited a bit, and to be fair it’s not the best competition. I think Fred looks further along if I am evaluating them as tight ends. He seemed a little more physical.

“It’s interesting: it’s not as easy to find tight ends now. A lot of times you are projecting a big receiver in high school, or hoping a decent, physical tight end in high school might be athletic enough to play in college.

“I do like that both of them play basketball, too.”

Running back Demie Sumo from Willingboro (N.J.) High

“I haven’t seen him in person and watching his film I wonder about his athletic upside, but when you look at his numbers and you see a little J-Sam in them. It just seems like he has a knack as a playmaker. I read where State found him when they were actually watching a teammate, and stories like that I feel like tend to work out well.”

Reactions: Ryan_Tice
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News