ADVERTISEMENT

The Run Down War Room presented by JFQ Lending (Feb. 12)

Matt Carter

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2004
As an exclusive offer, JFQ Lending will cover any appraisal costs AND add an additional $500 credit for all members of TheWolfpacker.com!

Please email hclaussen@jfqlending.com or shoot NC State alum Hunter Claussen a private message (@WolfPackMortgageGuy). You can check out their website JFQLending.com as well.

•••

We decided to have an anonymous source reveal their thoughts on the NC State signing class of 2021. This source has been around the college football recruiting scene, especially in the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast region for nearly two decades now, and the source is very familiar with the Wolfpack’s personnel and recruiting.

Last week, we had the thoughts on the offensive players in the class. This week, here are the thoughts on the defensive players in the class.

Defensive back Sean Brown from Hough High in Cornelius, N.C.

“The most impressive thing for me about Brown on film is he shows he can blitz. Fans tend to think if you dial up a blitz it should work. It takes skill to be a good blitzer. Not every player can do it well. Brown looks like he could be a good blitzer from the secondary.

“I think the first thing they have to do is figure out exactly what kind of athlete they have in Brown and then go from there. Can he be more than a safety or is he just a safety?”

Defensive back Nate Evans from Cox High in Virginia Beach, Va.

“He’s a bit of a mystery. Not a ton of game film to go on. But I’ve heard that the size and athleticism is there.”

Linebacker Caden Fordham from The Bolles School in Jacksonville, Fla.

“He’s the type of linebacker you need now. He’s a little different from the other two guys that I would consider linebackers in this class in that he’s actually played some linebacker. I’m not sure he’s as athletic as the other two, but he looks like he can run well.

“He looks like he has good instincts and shows that he can cover some. He’s going to have to get bigger to play in the box, but that’ll come. I think he can be a starter in the ACC.”

Safety/linebacker Chase Hattley from Panther Creek High in Cary, N.C.

“I like Hattley, but I think he’s a linebacker. He reminds me of Germaine Pratt. Pratt should have been a linebacker all along at NC State, but I guess he really wanted to be a safety before he saw the light. Hattley looks like he is a good athlete, but that would translate better if he’s a linebacker.

“You have to like the playmaking abilities that is born out in his stats. Again, for me if you put him at linebacker you have a plus-athlete there.”

Cornerback Mario Love Jr. from Hough High in Cornelius, N.C.

“Love is a name that has been around for a while so he’s fairly well known. If you go to his games you’ll see a confident corner and he seems very comfortable in coverage. He never really got much bigger or taller from his freshman year when he broke out, so the size is the obvious question mark.

“I actually think he could be a good cover nickel or dime early in his career.”

Linebacker Jordan Poole from West Stanly High in Oakboro, N.C.

“Clearly he’s athletic. The only question on him that I could see colleges having is can he be a linebacker? He played safety and running back mainly for West Stanly. He doesn’t have the frame that Hattley has, and he’ll be a shorter linebacker, but personally, for me, I don’t care much about that.

“His speed makes up for that, and he looks like he can be physical. I think in time he’s going to give the Wolfpack another plus-athlete linebacker.”

Defensive lineman Travali Price from North Lincoln High in Lincolnton, N.C.

“Great frame. Has long arms, great build. I actually wonder if he’s going to be someone like Alim McNeill who keeps growing and ends up being a 300-plus pounder that may get a look inside.

“He’s not an exceptional athlete for the position, but he has good hands and has nice mobility for his position. He’s got some nice upside.”

Defensive lineman Zyun Reeves from East Forsyth High in Kernersville, N.C.

“He’s got some upside. He has a ways to go, but that’s understandable since he’s pretty new to football and still growing into the frame. You can tell East Forsyth kept it simple with him last year when you watch the highlights, but I have seen him in person and he has the frame you want. I don’t know if that’s twitchy athlete, but he’s obviously athletic enough to play basketball.”

Defensive lineman Jayden Tate from North Lincoln High in Lincolnton, N.C.

“It’s hard to project because he played offensive line in high school. Obviously, he’s undersized so he’s going to have to fight for everything he gets.”

Reactions: Rockville_Wolf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News