ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the Flagship now?

One putt

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2002
[IMG alt="packpride92"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/ncstate/data/avatars/m/0/974.jpg?1450121098[/IMG]

packpride92

Dream Team​

Gold Member

The Flagship City of North Carolina đź‘Ť

Reactions:You and Syd64
Like Quote Reply

Packpride posted something on the ACC move and i felt this topic deserved its own thread.

I have been preaching for years that i think long term NC State will be the flagship university. I think the time has come. Let me make my case.

The word flagship in the old days mean the ship that the commander of the fleet was on. While we are not a fleet, the seat of the UNC BOG is moving to Raleigh. And our Chancellor was voted #1 in the country of public schools.

Today in business and marketing terms the term flagship means a product or service or company that is bigger, more important and/or has a superior place/product. Lets expand on that.

- NCSU is the largest university in the state. And growing rapidly. Period. End of that.
- NCSU has the largest starting salaries of graduates from a public school in the state. unc isnt even 2nd. NCSU is 2nd overall behind Duke. The difference between NCSU and unc is about 4k.
- NCSU innovation center/centennial campus creates more new industries and more jobs than any other university through development of new technologies. Lord knows we dont need anymore more journalists and lawyers, no disrespect to the lawyers here. I love mine but we have enough. They keep us out of trouble but they don't create wealth. Lawyers are not a growth engine,
largest Co-op programs and largest amount of independent companies on campus driving partnership technologies.
- NCSU was 1 of 4 public universities that raised over 1 billion dollars in a single fundraising campaign. unc nowhere in sight. Call us farmers and engineers and eggheads all you want but the world is changing. The new money is in Raleigh. And while we need agriculture, Ag is only 6% of the university.
- Increasing engineering grad enrollment by 4k people. That's just grad school.
-Our chancellor was just voted the #1 chancellor in the country for the year. Several criteria but enrollment, partnerships with outside companies, fundraising, and several other criteria that i forget. 500 million in new gifts. A 78% grad rate. When i was in school it was about 53%. And 575 million in new R&D in the university from outside companies.

I could go on and so many of you could add to this but my point is........WE ARE THE FLAGSHIP NOW. Our STEM grads and the direction of the economy put us in good position.

So, what makes unc a flagship? I get it that they used to be the flagship. NCSU was just getting starting and we were a land grant school created for the people of NC. Other unc branches were small almost satelite schools. But its different now. We are the biggest, we created more new jobs and industry, higher paying jobs. More investment. All measurable data, not subjective opinion. We are that flagship. unc has 2 things....a basketball team and a huge endowment. Sports doesnt make you a flagship. And that academic cheating AFAM scandal was an embarrassment to our university system. Say what you want but the BOG has to distance itself from that. And they turned a blind eye and let it go on. Their hands got a little dirt on them as well. They were asleep at the switch. Times have changed. NCSU is THE growth engine for the state of NC

Sorry to go on and on. I get fired up about this. I dont believe in the status quo. Only 2 companies that were in the fortune 100 in 1900 are still in the Fortune 100 today as stand alone companies. Times change. NCSU is the way of the future. The facts say we are the flagship and the commander and the seat of the BOG is in Raleigh.

It time to market ourselves as THE FLAGSHIP. The data supports it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News