ADVERTISEMENT

Year 7 Of the Kevin Keatts' Tenure

pkt1fan

All-Area
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2007
When KK was hired I was a assured by a key member of the search/hire team ( and a legendary player from the 90s) that he would get a minimum of 7 years no matter what the results. I was told the factors for this comment: 1) the state of the program post Gott, 2) Need to demonstrate to the basketball community that we would stand behind a respectable coach doin it the "right" way, 3) enticement to get KK (who was a hot commodity coming off 3 year championship run at UNCW) , 4) Knowledge that KK would need time to "grow" into a top level Power 5 type coach based on his limited head coaching experience. I dont think at the time the NCAA investigation weighed in to that comment but maybe this guy knew a bit more about what was coming (which is highly possible considering how Gott was fired)

Well, here we are starting year 7. Most of the early projections have us in the 8th place ACC, 65ish range nationally. To say that level of preseason hype is underwhelming, is well underwhelming. I do realize that we have multiple transfers and talent and if that talent gels we could exceed those goals and reach the NCAAT. Heck, if we run into a fastball we could hit the homer and win something real. Maybe the pundits are undervaluing us.......But, what if not?...What if that is who we really are at the 7 year mark?
I would venture to say there are quite a few below P5 secondary level head coaches or Power 5 assistants that could get us at that mark.
So the question will become where do we go? I really think the question needs to be... Where do we want to go? If you ask donors like myself its not that level of underwhelming hype. Maybe the days of being a top contender every year are gone for most programs not named Duke (including UNC) due to NIL and the portal, but thinking that in every 7 or 8 year span we can't contend for the top spot in the ACC a couple of times and a few second weekend runs in the NCAAT is really not that high a goal considering our assets current and historical.

Look, I have met KK a few times and heck I like the guy. I like the fact he was at Hargrave and had to re-tool every year which is where I think college sports are now due to the NIL and portal impacts. He seems to relate fairly well to the fans, the team plays hard for the most part and he appears to get what being the NCSU men's head coach is about. However, its a results business and to date.....nothing great or really even above average. Wes having the success he has demonstrated shines even a brighter light on KKs lack of high quality results.

Personally, I think KK days are numbered as coach and I hate saying that even prior to the start of the season. But, I hate being a bit down going into the season. I plan to be in my seats at every home game starting with the exhibition and will pull like hell for wins as always but I'm just a bit down which has happened to me very little over the last 40+ years including the Les and Sid years. I feel like we are playing out the string and this 7 year plan ends poorly. I hope some on here have thoughts that can brighten my spirits as we all love the team ( well at least the ones that are real NCSU fans and not trolls). Thanks for indulging my rant.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News