ADVERTISEMENT

NBPA Camp Wednesday's updates...

Jacey Zembal

Jun 15, 2007
A bit of a bumpy start at the NBPA due to NBA media relations people being overwhelmed due to being unprepared, but eventually settled in. It just meant missing half of a game, which was unfortunate.

The NBPA Camp is the one camp where good players can look very ordinary. It's simply hard to reach double figures in every single game. I am pretty sure T.J. Warren achieved that feat the June going into his senior year. I'll see each player at least twice, and the majority three games or more this week.

Chicago Morgan Park senior point guard Ayo Dosunmu went for 21 points in his first game and he was impressive at getting to the rim. He brings good size to the position and knows how to finish. I'm not sure he tried many jumpers, but he didn't need too. He wasn't going against a stiff either, as he got matched up with Louisville senior point guard commit Courtney Ramey. Dosunmu kind of admitted that the commitment of guard Jamie Lewis has created some pause in his feelings toward NC State, but Dosunmu is at a different level as a player, and the coaches will be trying to reinforce that.

Mouth of Wilson (Va.) Oak Hill Academy senior center David McCormack was dominant inside to the tune of 13 points and 10 rebounds. It's stunning how he has reshaped his body since November. He no longer looks like a future NFL left tackle. He's on the same team as senior wing John Newman of Greensboro (N.C.) Day and point guard Elijah Weaver of Oldsmar (Fla.) Christian.

Newman just continues to make players and he didn't miss a shot en route to 10 points (2 of 2 on 3-pointers). Weaver struggled with his jumper and went 2 of 10 from the field and 0 of 4 on three-pointers. He finished with four points, four rebounds and five assists, but five turnovers. I've probably seen him 2-3 times now, but I'm due for him to play well when I'm in the gym.

NC State will be giving senior power forward Jimmy Nichols of Conway (S.C.) High, senior power forward Joshua LeBlanc of Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep and senior small forward Hunter Tyson of Monroe (N.C.) Piedmont hard looks in July. I got to see Nichols and Tyson on Wednesday. Nichols has a nice frame and will need an S&C program. Some say he wants to be a small forward, but I saw a small ball power forward. Tyson flashed his potential, but I'm waiting for him to really bust out.

Tyson played with Joey Baker of Fayetteville (N.C.) Trinity Christian, who struggled in the afternoon but played more confidently in the evening. Baker maybe is a little taller than last seen and more of a well-rounded small forward. His three-point shooting was pretty smooth.

I caught senior small forward Nassir Little of Orlando, Fla., in the evening, but he had a quiet game. His father is from Raleigh and did long jump or triple jump (or both) I believe at East Carolina. He just got back from playing with the adidas-sponsored squads that played in Treviso, Italy, this past weekend. His stock this spring has really exploded.

Junior power forward Armando Bacot of Richmond (Va.) Trinity just goes about his business and plays physical, has nice touch around the rim and brings good size to the position. He isn't a freaky athlete, but mentally he's sharp on the court. I hadn't seen him in a while, but he's bigger and has more tenacity.

Senior wing Keldon Johnson of Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, who is from 90 minutes north Raleigh near the North Carolina border in Virginia, had a so-so first day. The gifted scorer was playing a lot of point guard, and he's usually pretty good with the ball in his hands, but it wasn't working for him Wednesday. Eventually in the second half of his second game, senior guard A.J. Green took over the point guard duties.

Senior small forward Louis King of New Jersey said he'd like to unofficially visit NC State, Louisville and Kentucky. He also hinted about waiting for the April signing period, but some believe his family will push for him to end it by November.

Locally, Wake Forest (N.C.) Heritage senior wing Jarren McAllister showed a nice floor game with four points, six rebounds and seven assists. He was a super early commit to Virginia Tech.

Of the players I saw, my top five best games were:

1. A.J. Reeves, shooting guard (2018)
2. Ayo Dosunmu, point guard (2018)
3. David McCormack, center (2018)
4. Armando Bacot, center (2019)
5. Jules Bernard, small forward (2018)

NC State has offered all of those guys on that list except Bernard from Los Angeles.

From looking at box scores, Canadian Simisola Shittu, a senior power forward, and North Carolina senior point guard commit Coby White of Greenfield School in Wilson, N.C., might join Dosunmu in competing for camp scoring honors.

Thursday's games start around 2 p.m., and I'm going to zero in with Heat/Lakers, Bucks/Warriors, 76ers/Celtics and Rockets/Bucks. It was unavoidable to not see a team play twice, and the Bucks have Weaver, McCormack, Newman and Nichols (plus Dort if he ends up playing).

Former NC State women's basketball player Chasity Melvin is one of the assistant coaches. Other names basketball fans might know that are coaching: Will Bynum, Jason Terry, Gani Lawal, John Lucas III (his dad runs the camp), Sean Singletary, Lee Nailon, Andre Barrett, Ricky Davis, Ryan Gomes, Beno Udrih, Luke Zeller, Rajon Rondo, Bruno Sundov, Aaron Brooks, Johan Petro and big Jahidi White.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News