ADVERTISEMENT

The virus impact on universities outside of sports

One putt

Diamond Wolf
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2002
https://cyclones.com/news/2020/7/13...sses-cyclone-nation.aspx#.Xwx5YjZIyn0.twitter

I copy the Iowa State letter from their AD.

Talking recently with some friends in Academia. A very close friend is a Dean at Penn State and was Dean of the Engineering dept up there shared some comments with me as well as Dr Bennett at Southern Miss, and a couple of small college presidents like Guilford and Lafayette.

This virus goes way beyond athletics.
In 2019 50% of college graduates come out without a job (doesn't count delivering pizzas).
Over the last 10 years college tuition has doubled.
Parents and kids dont want to pay for expensive degrees when it's an on-line education.

Predictions are some small colleges are simply going to close. Big state universities may have the backing of the state but programs are going to be cut. Private schools with large endowments will get by but its going to hurt.

Every industry goes through some type of catalyst every decade or so. While the virus is shutting down a lot of athletics, its the academic side that is going to get hurt. This week unc announced in a letter to incoming students that no campus dining options will be open. We all knew they had a haircut coming. What kind of industry can double prices over 10 years and offer 50% less in product? The typical college business model will have to change.

Who wins in this deal? Maybe Community Colleges. Why pay big money for an on-line degree when you can take the same classes that will transfer in from a Community College.? I know, JUCO classes are not the same as the same classes at a reputable university. Food trucks, expect so see food trucks all over campuses or around the boundary edges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News