ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Two national champ alums compete this week (LIVE UPDATES) …

Ryan_Tice

Habitual Line Stepper
May 26, 2009
Durham, NC
www.thewolfpacker.com
On Wednesday and Thursday, former NC State national champions Nick Gwiazdowski and Michael Macchiavello will be in action at FloWrestling's America's Cup.

I don't really have a ton of details about it because it's a new event, but both are on "team 2" (I believe there was a draft of some sort?). It's freestyle wrestling.

Gwiz is a pretty big favorite of the other five 125 kg wrestlers — the next-best wrestler at his weight is either Tony Nelson (who he beat for his first NCAA title) or Dom Bradley (longtime US national team member).

Macch, meanwhile, is in a much more competitive weight class, headlined by two-time world champion and Olympic bronze medalist J'Den Cox. Also in action at 97 kg will be Hayden Zillmer, who wrestles for Minnesota's Gopher Wrestling Club. Macch and Zillmer have split their most recent meetings, with Zillmer winning a few months ago at the RTC Cup.

There will be pool action Wednesday, then a seeded team bracket on Thursday, I imagine format will be similar to the RTC Cup. Flo is awarding $60,000 in prize money for the two-day tourney.

More: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6880940-complete-americas-cup-preview

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News